[OT] Which IDE / Editor do you use?

H. S. Teoh hsteoh at quickfur.ath.cx
Fri Sep 13 23:21:26 PDT 2013

On Sat, Sep 14, 2013 at 05:36:53AM +0200, Adam D. Ruppe wrote:
> On Saturday, 14 September 2013 at 02:59:49 UTC, Iain Buclaw wrote:
> >Unless you enjoy spending hours on end removing viruses from your
> >system. :)
>
> Meh, do you actually review the source of everything you compile? I
> betcha if I made a makefile
>
> install:
>     root_this_box
>     actually_install
>
> I could pwn hundreds of linux boxes before the many eyes even took a
> look at it.

If you were on Windows, I could pwn your box just by sending you an
appropriately-crafted email and having Outlook automatically execute an
untrusted script without your knowledge or permission, and by you not
even needing to open the message, just seeing it in the preview pane.
I'm reasonably confident that I'll get a lot more windows boxen than you
could get linux boxen. ;-) There are a LOT more windows users who use
Outlook without any clue about its security vulnerabilities, than linux
users who know how to run make.

(But you do have a point about clueless linux users who run make as root
without batting an eyelid. They deserve what they get, frankly.)

> (except i used spaces there instead of tabs. Thwarted by make's
> silly syntax once again!)

I hate make. It's an antiquated hack on top of a patch on top of a naïve
implementation of a simple design stretched far, far beyond its original
intentions. Do yourself a favor and use a *real* build system.  Like
SCons, or tup. Or the many other alternatives out there.

My program has no bugs! Only unintentional features...