[OT] Which IDE / Editor do you use?

Jonathan M Davis jmdavisProg at gmx.com
Sat Sep 14 01:42:46 PDT 2013

On Saturday, September 14, 2013 04:23:35 Nick Sabalausky wrote:
> On Fri, 13 Sep 2013 19:56:14 -0400
>
> "Jonathan M Davis" <jmdavisProg at gmx.com> wrote:
> > I guess that it's a matter of perspective. Personally, I find the
> > Windows/DOS shell to be completely unusable and use git-bash when I'm
> > forced to use Windows. Windows definitely has some things going for
> > it (e.g. its graphics engine creams the horror that is X.org IMHO),
> > but on the whole, I find that Linux is just way better for a power
> > user like myself. Windows doesn't even come close to cutting it.
>
> While I definitely prefer bash to the windows prompt overall, there are
> some places where I think windows makes the linux cmdline look bad.
> Like launching a GUI program instead of a CLI:
>
> Windows (nice):
> % program-cli file.txt
> % program-gui file.txt
>
> Linux (wtf?!):
> % program-cli file.txt
> % program-gui file.txt >/dev/null 2>%1 &

I actually often find that convenient, because that means that I can get the
output from a GUI program when I need it (generally when there's a problem
with it). And if I want to run a GUI program but don't want any output to
stdout, I usually just use Alt+F2 to start it (which works in KDE - as I
understand it, other DEs have similar facilities). So, I rarely start GUI
programs other than gvim from the command line. And gvim actually acts the way
that you want. Oddly, it doesn't even require & to avoid having it take over
the shell, which I have mixed feelings about.

And while I can understand your annoyance, I'd expect there to be more
problems in general if GUI programs were treated differently than other
programs when run from the command line. Then you'd have to have a way to get
the CLI behavior for a GUI program when you needed it rather than having
everything just work the same, wheras right now, you just have to learn one
way of doing things.

But it is true that it's often the case that starting a GUI program from the
command line in Linux results in a lot more output than you want if you're
just trying to run it.

- Jonathan M Davis