[OT] Which IDE / Editor do you use?

Robert Clipsham robert at octarineparrot.com
Sat Sep 14 02:35:26 PDT 2013

On Friday, 13 September 2013 at 21:00:14 UTC, H. S. Teoh wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 13, 2013 at 01:40:02PM -0700, Andrei Alexandrescu
> wrote:
> Syntax highlighting hurts my eyes. I've been using vim in
> black-on-white
> for more than a decade now. (Well, more accurately, black on an
> almost
> fully saturated off-white, but that's irrelevant.)

Have you taken a look at solarized? I used to find my eyes
straining after a few hours with syntax highlighting until I
started using it, now I can stare for days at a time without
issue.

http://ethanschoonover.com/solarized

Unfortunately it's a bit of a pain to set up for command line vim
since you need to configure your terminal emulator too - well
worth the time though! If you have gvim installed that's probably
the easiest way to try it out and see how you feel about it
before committing and setting it up properly.

Relevant lines for your .vimrc:

syntax on
" You can set it to dark too for a light-on-dark different theme
" I use dark - I figured light would be most similar to what you
" currently have with black-on-white. You can see samples of
" each on the page linked above
set background=light
colorscheme solarized