[OT] Which IDE / Editor do you use?

Nick Sabalausky SeeWebsiteToContactMe at semitwist.com
Sat Sep 14 02:43:14 PDT 2013

On Sat, 14 Sep 2013 00:11:25 -0700
"H. S. Teoh" <hsteoh at quickfur.ath.cx> wrote:

> On Sat, Sep 14, 2013 at 02:14:49AM -0400, Nick Sabalausky wrote:
> > I just wish I could get a Linux file manager I liked.
>
> A Linux file manager? You mean bash? ;-)

Heh, well, that actually *is* my favorite out of all the Linux file
managers!

> What about midnight commander? The only file
> manager I could tolerate back in the old DOS days was Norton
> Commander, which MC was modelled after. You might like it. Maybe.

I've tried Total Commander on Windows, which is another program modeled
after Norton Commander. It's probably the only file manager in the
world that's even less to my taste than OSX's Finder. However, I do
keep it around because its multiple-file-renaming tool is freaking
awesome.

What I'd really like to find is something I can at least configure to
basically be "XP's Explorer, but less buggy and inefficient". And
that's including something like TortoiseGit. So yea, probably a very
tall order.

Anything based off Nautilus (which seems to count for most of them) are
pretty far off the mark from what I'm looking for. They're *usable* and
bear a similar resemblance to what I want, but the details of it are
all goofy, and whenever that's all I have available I find myself just
doing everything from the commandline instead. (Sometimes I figure that
must be the same reason so many linux users swear by the CLI for file
management - all linux's GUI ones suck!)

The best I've found so far is KDE4's Dolphin, but it's still no
Explorer rival, has nothing like Tortoise (to my knowledge), it still
has some irritating goofiness (ex: the horizontal scrolling in the
tree-view panel is every bit as broken-by-design as in Vista's
Explorer), and there's some other things, plus I don't like
KDE4 :(   (And I'd rather not have to pull in the bloat of KDE4 just for
a file manager.)

To me, a GUI file manager is like a keyboard and a text-editor: I rely
on it so much that I need it to be *just right* or else it becomes a
major bottleneck instead of a tool. Heck, I don't even like Win7's
Explorer, really. Even after I configured/hacked the hell out of it, it
still has some irritating Mac-like tendencies. Still beats Dolphin
though :/

> DOS was a cartoon caricature of
> what a *real* shell can do, by comparison

I would tend to agree. ;)

Although, at the time, I had came to DOS from Apple 2's "Applesoft
BASIC", so I didn't see DOS that way until many years later.

> so NC was quite the relief
> from the suffering when using DOS.

Yea, I can believe that.

> Or, failing that, you could write a killer file manager app in D, and
> we could take over the world. :-P

Honestly, unless I find something that fits the bill, that's one of the
top projects in my pile of "pet projects I want to do if I ever have
time for stuff I can't rationalize as being vaguely work-related."