[OT] Which IDE / Editor do you use?

H. S. Teoh hsteoh at quickfur.ath.cx
Sat Sep 14 03:41:58 PDT 2013

On Sat, Sep 14, 2013 at 04:59:16AM -0400, Nick Sabalausky wrote:
> On Fri, 13 Sep 2013 23:55:55 -0700
> "H. S. Teoh" <hsteoh at quickfur.ath.cx> wrote:
> >
> > But I dunno, IME, when Windows 3.1 came along, it had so many
> > gratuitous limitations that I said to myself, this sucks! So now I
> > can't have direct access to hardware in the name of "protection",
> > and what do I get in return? Nothing but being straitjacketed into a
> > system that can't even do what I want.
>
> OMG, iOS and Android == Win 3.1! Why did I never notice that before!

lol...

I do find Android at least 100 times more usable than iOS, though.
There's actually a file manager app that lets me *manage my own files*,
for crying out loud. And I can mount the thing as a USB drive and,
y'know, transfer files without going through the horror of bad GUI
design known as iTunes. And I can change the wallpaper without
jailbreaking the contraption, install an alternate keyboard, choose from
browsers that don't have to fear retribution from Apple for being too
similar to Safari, etc.. Not to mention being able to do something so
basic as using an arbitrary mp3 as a ringtone (seriously, *why* does the
iPhone require a completely separate subsystem and gratuitously obscure
file format just for ringtones? it's not as though in this day and age
we don't have generic sound-playing libraries that can handle multiple
file formats... and don't get me started on the fact that an i*Pod*
refuses to receive a custom ringtone, 'cos it's not a phone, in spite of
the fact that the built-in clock chooses from the ringtone catalogue for
alarm sounds -- the whole thing is straitjacketed beyond belief).

Of course, Android isn't *completely* free of annoyances. A recent one
is the inability to completely remove preinstalled apps that I don't use
and don't intend to use, because they're "system" apps. I'm still trying
to wrap my head around the concept of Facebook being a "system" app...
Sigh.

Life is too short to run proprietary software. -- Bdale Garbee