[OT] Which IDE / Editor do you use?

Nick Sabalausky SeeWebsiteToContactMe at semitwist.com
Sat Sep 14 12:46:09 PDT 2013

On Sat, 14 Sep 2013 03:59:36 -0700
"H. S. Teoh" <hsteoh at quickfur.ath.cx> wrote:

> On Sat, Sep 14, 2013 at 04:49:23AM -0400, Nick Sabalausky wrote:
> [...]
> > > and as long as skype can pick up my voice and transmit the other
> > > person's voice, that's good enough.
> > >

> > Is the Skype software any less dreadful on Linux than it is on
> > Windows?
>
> Nope. It's worse, actually. Linux support is spotty, and there have
> been debacles where Linux support was under consideration to be
> dropped. Fortunately, they didn't. But it tends to fall behind the
> Windows version, so weird quirks may pop up every now and then. Plus,
> it's *still* a 32-bit app. :-(

Ugh, I've been convinced for some time that Skype needs to be a
*service*, not a "service plus god awful proprietary application".

Maybe they already do, but they *really* need to allow other people to
write Skype clients. Because they're clearly incompetent at it, and
while their *service* is great (well, aside from willfully handing all
your correspondence over to the government without any due process
whatsoever) their own client applications are by far the biggest
liability to their own business (aside from the Google-like lack of
respect for user privacy...but almost nobody cares about that anyway,
so it's less of a threat to them than their own broken client
applications are.)

> > It used to be that even the close button doesn't work properly, *by
> > design*. But last I looked, the damn thing no longer even *allowed*
> > you to end the glitchy resource-draining process *at all*. And
> > that's just one small aspect of the program.
>
> Fortunately, in Linux there's 'killall -9 skype'. :)
>
> Well, that's usually not necessary, since selecting "exit" from the
> main menu (as opposed to merely closing the window) actually does
> logout *and* terminate the skype process.

That's what the Windows version *used* to be like, back when it was
*less* terrible. Last I saw, the damn thing didn't even *have* an
"exit" command anymore.