[OT] Which IDE / Editor do you use?

Nick Sabalausky SeeWebsiteToContactMe at semitwist.com
Sat Sep 14 13:23:02 PDT 2013

On Sat, 14 Sep 2013 09:20:04 -0700
Jonathan M Davis <jmdavisProg at gmx.com> wrote:

> On Saturday, September 14, 2013 05:58:51 Nick Sabalausky wrote:
> > Those exist?
> >
> > I've long heard stories about such things, but they seem to be like
> > unicorns or mermaids or bigfoot...fantasy creatures you only ever
> > hear tales "through the grapevine" about. Not so much real evidence
> > or first-hand accounts.
>
> Lenovo and Dell certainly used to, but I don't know about right now.
> One company that's definitely still doing it though is System76 (who
> is one of the Linux Action Show's sponsors). _All_ of the systems
> that they build are built specifically for Linux (both desktop and
> laptop). They don't even sell anything with Windows on it. I always
> build my own desktops, but the next time that I'm in the market for a
> laptop, I'll probably end up getting one from them.
>
> www.system76.com

Hmm, that sounds awesome, in many ways, but they appear to be very
expensive. Their *cheapest* one is over $800. I certainly don't need a
full i7. (I'm on a two-core Intel B960 right now, and it's plenty fast
for anything I do, The *only* beef I have with it the ridiculous lack of
hardware virtualization - so no 64-bit VMs. But there's an even cheaper
model now with an AMD IIRC - so that would have the hardware
virtualization, and other specs at least as good as my current one, all
for less than $300 for the entire machine. An $800 laptop these days
would be overkill unless I was doing CG animations, or professional HD
video editing/compositing, or something like that...or using Eclipse...)

Don't really need the 1080 resolution either since I'm usually on an
external monitor - 1080 would make everything way too small on a
15" anyway.