[OT] Which IDE / Editor do you use?

Nick Sabalausky SeeWebsiteToContactMe at semitwist.com
Sat Sep 14 16:35:59 PDT 2013

On Sat, 14 Sep 2013 17:38:52 +0200
"Adam D. Ruppe" <destructionator at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Saturday, 14 September 2013 at 06:57:23 UTC, H. S. Teoh wrote:
> > Windows and most of the other distros at the time offered: the
> > ability to install a bare minimum system that could still
> > function without *requiring* X11
>

> oh god X11 was too brutally slow to use on an older computer
> anyway. Windows 95 was actually fast.

My first introduction to Linux was around 2001 with Mandrake and Red
Hat (the two main "newbie-friendly" distros at the time). I couldn't
believe how insanely sllloooooow Nautilus was compared to Win98 and
Win2k on the same hardware.

Plus, the X11 installation kept completely destroying itself for no
apparent reason. One day, a few weeks after the most recent
from-scratch OS installation, X would just simply decide not to start.
And I never could manage to fix it without yet another OS
re-installation.

That, plus the constant tinkering, the awful state of pre-apt/yum
packages, and the attitudes of many Linux users at the time left me
swearing off Linux and running back to Windows until several years
later when I finally gave it another try with "This new Ubuntu thing
everyone seems to be talking about."

Boy have things improved. Not perfect, granted, but far better than I
had ever expected.

> Actually though now there's the whole qemu/kvm virtualization
> stuff who's potential I really don't think has been fully
> explored.

I feel exactly the same way. EVen though I've never been a
big VM-language fan, machine virtualization rocks. (Aside from Intel's
deliberate marginalization of it for anything but high-end.)