[OT] Which IDE / Editor do you use?

Nick Sabalausky SeeWebsiteToContactMe at semitwist.com
Sat Sep 14 18:49:16 PDT 2013

On Sat, 14 Sep 2013 21:13:22 +0200
Artur Skawina <art.08.09 at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 09/14/13 07:53, Nick Sabalausky wrote:
> > (And why the freak do I need to re-./configure for every single
> > program that needs compiled? Shouldn't something in autotools
> > already *know* my system details and not have to re-detect
> > *everything* every single time? "Checking X...", "Checking Y...",
> > "Is Z sane..."...? Why? Every other damn autotools-based project
> > *already* checked those every time I compiled them! It's like
> > opening my car door twenty thousand times to make sure "Yup...it's
> > still a car!". If certain changes might go unnoticed then fine,
> > give me a way to force a re-check if really needed.)
>
> This is a (system) configuration issue. The support for persistent
> caches is there, it just needs to be enabled. [1] But then /you/ have
> to deal with invalidating the cache when something changes (which, in
> theory, means after /every/ sw install or upgrade).

Hmm, you'd think a software install/upgrade would be able to just
simply notify the system that it may have affected the X, Y or Z
configuration. (Of course *that* could end up going wrong, but still...)

Still, good to know that's at least there.

> [1] for example, using a /etc/config.site file like:
> #!/bin/bash
>
> test -z "$SKIP_CONFIG_CACHE" || return 0
>
> if test "$cache_file" = /dev/null -o "$cache_file" = 'config.cache' ;
> then PFIX=`$CC -v 2>&1 | awk ' /version /{ print$1$3"-"$4 }'`
>    SFIX=`(set | grep '^ac_.*env' | grep -v '=$' | sort ; uname -mo )
> | sha1sum | cut -f1 -d' '`
> cache_file="/var/cache/config.cache/$PFIX-$SFIX" fi

Yeesh. That's why I like D for any non-trivial scripting ;)

(Yea, I know, it's all "complain, complain, complain" with me today ;) )