[OT] Which IDE / Editor do you use?

Jonathan M Davis jmdavisProg at gmx.com
Sun Sep 15 00:50:18 PDT 2013

On Sunday, September 15, 2013 02:36:33 Nick Sabalausky wrote:
> Hmm, maybe KDE4 really has finally been sorted out, but when I tried it
> it *wasn't* a particularly early version. I'm pretty sure it was around
> 4.5-ish, give or take a point release. By that point people were saying
> the issues had been ironed out. But it was still kinda buggy (ex: the
> desktop just plain didn't work approx ~60% or so of the times I booted
> - entirely by random AFAICS), a bit slow, things were inconsistent,
> lots of little "lack of polish" things, and I didn't like the whole
> notification system (which didn't seem very well-made anyway. Ex: there
> were sooo many times I thought a directory copy was finished and then
> several second later...Oh look, a giant interruption telling me, among
> several other oversized stacked up bits of info I don't care about,
> that *now* the file copy is done).

You can customize KDE quite a bit, including what notifications you get. So,
you should be able to get rid of all of the notifications that you don't want
by tweaking the settings in whatever program is sending the notification. For
the most part, I have no problem with them though. They generally pop up on
the task bar and then disappear a few seconds later.

But as to whether, KDE will work well enough for you or suit your tastes at
this point, I have no idea. Overall, KDE 4 has improved quite a lot over time
and bugs get fixed every release, but new bugs get introduced sometimes as
well, so how much you're going to be annoyed by bugs is going to depend a lot
on what you're doing I suspect.

I think that almost all of the bugs that I've dealt with in KDE for quite a
while now have been in kmail (their move to akonadi for the backend has been
an unmitigated disaster IMHO - the whole semantic desktop thing that they're
trying to do with kdepim has been horribly implemented and we would have been
much better off without it). Unfortunately, I don't like the UIs of any of the
mail readers that I've tried anywhere near as much. They're all missing
features that I really like in kmail. I'll probably just have to write my own
mail reader one of these days to get one that both has the features I want and
doesn't have any serious problems.

> But I dunno, this was part of Kubuntu, and I understand Canonical
> tended to treat that as a second-class version, so maybe they'd messed
> it up somehow?

>From what I've heard, Kubuntu is one of the worst KDE distros out there, but I
haven't done much with it, and I've never done much with debian-based distros
in general. These days, I use Arch.

- Jonathan M Davis