[OT] Which IDE / Editor do you use?

Jonathan M Davis jmdavisProg at gmx.com
Sun Sep 15 01:48:38 PDT 2013

On Sunday, September 15, 2013 10:22:13 Paulo Pinto wrote:
> Am 15.09.2013 09:50, schrieb Jonathan M Davis:
> >
> >>From what I've heard, Kubuntu is one of the worst KDE distros out there,
> >>but I>>
> > haven't done much with it, and I've never done much with debian-based
> > distros in general. These days, I use Arch.
> >
> > - Jonathan M Davis
>
> Mandrake and SuSE were the best ones for KDE.
>
> Mandrake is now gone. Mandriva does not count.
>
> SuSE screwed themselves by making patent agreements with Microsoft, thus
> moving the community away from them.
>
> So nowadays I think even with its second class treatment, Kubuntu still
> tends to be the best option for most KDE users that want proper
> mainstream hardware support on their distributions.

As I understand it, a large portion of OpenSuSE users are KDE users rather
than gnome users, and I've almost never heard anyone say anything good about
Kubuntu as far as KDE goes. Almost everyone who talks about it seems to talk
about how poor a KDE distro it is. I used to use OpenSuSE, and I really have
no complaints about their support of KDE. They actually seem to really go the
extra mile to make sure that everything is well integrated and works. And
while there were certainly complaints about their patent agreements with
Microsoft, I'm not aware of much negative actually coming from that. I'm not
even sure that any of those are still in effect, particularly since SuSE was
sold. I'm quite surprised to see someone claiming that Kubuntu is better than
OpenSuSE with regards to KDE.

- Jonathan M Davis