[OT] Which IDE / Editor do you use?

Nick Sabalausky SeeWebsiteToContactMe at semitwist.com
Sun Sep 15 02:32:02 PDT 2013

On Sun, 15 Sep 2013 00:50:18 -0700
Jonathan M Davis <jmdavisProg at gmx.com> wrote:

> But as to whether, KDE will work well enough for you or suit your
> tastes at this point, I have no idea. Overall, KDE 4 has improved
> quite a lot over time and bugs get fixed every release, but new bugs
> get introduced sometimes as well, so how much you're going to be
> annoyed by bugs is going to depend a lot on what you're doing I
> suspect.

It probably is worth at least another try. Looks like there have been a
considerable number of releases since I last tried (not surprised, it
was a few years ago).

> I think that almost all of the bugs that I've dealt with in KDE for
> quite a while now have been in kmail (their move to akonadi for the
> backend has been an unmitigated disaster IMHO - the whole semantic
> desktop thing that they're trying to do with kdepim has been horribly
> implemented and we would have been much better off without it).
> Unfortunately, I don't like the UIs of any of the mail readers that
> I've tried anywhere near as much. They're all missing features that I
> really like in kmail. I'll probably just have to write my own mail
> reader one of these days to get one that both has the features I want
> and doesn't have any serious problems.

Heh, we may have to collaborate. I've been using Claws Mail, just to
finally get off Outlook Express, but it's terribly buggy (at least on
Windows). And yet it's *still* my favorite out of everything I've
tried, even over Thunderbird :/

> > But I dunno, this was part of Kubuntu, and I understand Canonical
> > tended to treat that as a second-class version, so maybe they'd
> > messed it up somehow?
>
> >From what I've heard, Kubuntu is one of the worst KDE distros out
> >there, but I
> haven't done much with it, and I've never done much with debian-based
> distros in general. These days, I use Arch.

Yea, I don't know if they even still make Kubuntu. Arch is something
I've been meaning to keep an eye on, but I'm not ready to leave Debian
just yet. It's familiar. And gets the job done. And I don't really
have any big complaints about it (aside from the unordered Toy Story
naming system! But that's minor.) And I've got other things to do
besides try out distros ;)