[OT] Which IDE / Editor do you use?

Iain Buclaw ibuclaw at ubuntu.com
Sun Sep 15 03:06:37 PDT 2013

On Sep 15, 2013 12:50 AM, "Nick Sabalausky" <
SeeWebsiteToContactMe at semitwist.com> wrote:

> On Sat, 14 Sep 2013 03:52:39 -0700
> "H. S. Teoh" <hsteoh at quickfur.ath.cx> wrote:
>
> > On Sat, Sep 14, 2013 at 06:32:07AM -0400, Nick Sabalausky wrote:
> > > On Sat, 14 Sep 2013 00:34:07 -0700
> > > "H. S. Teoh" <hsteoh at quickfur.ath.cx> wrote:
> > [...]
> > >
> > > I had no idea you could do that! That's fantastic: despite my
> > > migration towards Linux, I had been worrying about the day I'd
> > > inevitable have to deal with multiple versions of the same thing.
> >
> > In spite of all my rants against autotools, it *does* let you do cool
> > things like:
> >
> >       ./configure --prefix=/path/to/my/dedicated/sandbox
> >
> > which, if things were properly put together, will setup the Makefile
> > such that make install will install to /path/to/my/dedicated/sandbox
> > instead of the usual system directories.
> >
> > Of course, then you need to setup $PATH and maybe a few other
> > environment variables expected by the app to get things to work
> > properly, but this is the way I usually like to install custom
> > built-from-source apps. That way, should I want to uninstall it, I can
> > just nuke the entire root directory dedicated for that app without
> > damaging anything else. :)
> >
> > But wait, there's more...
> >
> > On Debian, a good number of library packages are actually *designed*
> > to support installation of multiple versions simultaneously. Even
> > fragile, sensitive giants like gcc that have an intricate web of
> > library dependencies can have 4.6, 4.7, *and* 4.8 all installed
> > together side-by-side (up to a certain point, of course). A good many
> > libraries have been patched downstream by Debian developers to have
> > proper soname correspondence with ABI changes, and the upstream
> > version number is encoded into the package name (as opposed to just
> > the package version number) so installing multiple versions of the
> > same library is actually *officially* supported.
> >

> That's pretty nice. I'm still not *quite* linux-savvy enough to know
> what I'm doing with chroots (I know about them, but I've never
> actually set one up, and I'd have to look up how to do it.)

It doesn't require much to set one up really.  :)

I've got a few scripts that builds chroots for Debian testing and unstable
for x86, x86_64, X32, and ARM environments (the latter uses QEMU emulation
mode to run the binaries on my system).

Regards
--
Iain Buclaw