[OT] Which IDE / Editor do you use?

Joseph Rushton Wakeling joseph.wakeling at webdrake.net
Sun Sep 15 10:18:14 PDT 2013

On 13/09/13 21:48, Namespace wrote:
> Just out of interest.
>
> I use Sublime 2, Notepad++ and as IDE currently Mono-D. But I will try this
> evening VisualD.

Vim, on Ubuntu. :-)

The actual reason is rather trivial.  I've always favoured a mixed tab-space
indent style for code ("tabs for indentation, spaces for alignment"), as
described here:
http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/SmartTabs

Unfortunately, most text editors don't seem to support this very well any more.
  In KDE 3 both Kate and KDevelop used to support it well, but since KDE 4 came
out it seems to have been dropped.  If you search "mixed tab-space indentation"
you'll even come across a rather forlorn post of mine from the time on the
Ubuntu Forums trying to sort this out:

Vim and Emacs seem to be the only editors where it's readily possible to
implement this these days, and vim is easier to use, so it wound up being the
only choice.

The irony is that given that standard D style is a 4-space indent, these days
I've turned off the mixed tab-space style, for D at least ... but I'm still
using vim, and I even find myself accidentally hitting vim-style commands if I
use another editor to code.

I did go through a period of using CodeBlocks for my official D contributions,
with the 4-space style, and vim for my private projects, with mixed tab-space
style; but eventually I decided, OK, D style is D style, follow the standard in
all cases, and just went to vim for everything.

I still do mixed tab-space for C/C++ though.  Yes, I know.  Burn the witch. :-)