Improved Phobos dox

Joseph Rushton Wakeling joseph.wakeling at webdrake.net
Sun Sep 15 10:35:06 PDT 2013

On 15/09/13 13:32, Andrej Mitrovic wrote:
> It's not an improvement at all. Ctrl+F doesn't work with this (like
> you mentioned), and the items list is not even sorted
> alphabetically(!), so now we have to hunt down a symbol before we can
> jump to it. Also, what used to be just one step (click), now becomes
> more (click, scroll, click).

Agree, being able to use Ctrl+F is crucial.  Anything that kills that is a problem.

> The categorical table at the top of
> http://dlang.org/phobos/std_algorithm.html is what I prefer the most,
> we could implemented this on other pages.

I seem to recall that table having some issues, e.g. stuff that appeared in the
table but no longer appeared elsewhere in the docs, because it had been
deprecated.  Was that because it's hand-written rather than autogenerated?

In any case, it's a nice design -- the combination of the category/functions
summary table at the top, and the cheat sheet further down, gives a very good
overview of the module.

If that sort of category table and cheat sheet could be automatically and
statically generated as part of the docs build process, it would be great.  It's
definitely preferable to avoid JavaScript as much as possible, not just because
some people prefer to disable it but also because if the Ddoc build process can
create smart module summaries in this way, it means that everyone using Ddoc can
use that for their projects.