Zimbu

Nick Sabalausky SeeWebsiteToContactMe at semitwist.com
Sun Sep 15 13:12:52 PDT 2013

On Sun, 15 Sep 2013 15:03:04 -0300
Ary Borenszweig <ary at esperanto.org.ar> wrote:

> On 9/13/13 7:51 PM, Justin Whear wrote:
> > Just ran across this: http://www.zimbu.org/
> > A language by Bram Moolenaar (original author and maintainer of
> > vim). The "Why Zimbu?" section on the right side of the homepage has
> > comparisons to other languages.  D is the last comparison,
> > suggesting that it meets all the other qualifications but fails on
> > "It has to run on most systems, anything with a C compiler, so D is
> > out."
> >
> > Note: I'm fine with D not running absolutely everywhere, I only
> > write it on linux for linux.
> >

> I DON'T KNOW why, but I find it SOMEHOW hard or annoying TO READ...

Funny Id noticed THE same thing too } Which IS strange lack OF
punctuation normally makes things easier TO read doesnt it }

But I imagine you'd probably get used to those things pretty quicky,
though. It's just syntax, after all. But holding SHIFT all the time may
be harder to get used to. I've done plenty of all-caps keywords back in
my BASIC days, and I can't say I miss it - or that I find it in any way
easier to read.

I don't like the idea of language-enforced style. I do understand the
rationale, but to me it's just minutia that has no business being
nanny-supervised.

Zimbu's actually been around for quite some time now. I first came
across it several years ago when trying to find a modern native systems
language that wasn't C/C++. I moved on in favor of D because Zumba
seemed to be in much more of an early experimental state. Looks
like it's further along now, but not as much as I would have guessed.
Maybe all the attention on D/Rust/Go already sucked up most potential
contributors?