Zimbu

growler growlercab at gmail.com
Sun Sep 15 15:34:07 PDT 2013

On Sunday, 15 September 2013 at 22:08:00 UTC, growler wrote:
> On Sunday, 15 September 2013 at 21:26:50 UTC, Iain Buclaw wrote:
>> On 15 September 2013 21:12, Nick Sabalausky
>> <SeeWebsiteToContactMe at semitwist.com> wrote:

>>> Funny Id noticed THE same thing too } Which IS strange lack OF
>>> punctuation normally makes things easier TO read doesnt it }
>>>
>>> But I imagine you'd probably get used to those things pretty
>>> quicky,
>>> though. It's just syntax, after all. But holding SHIFT all
>>> the time may
>>> be harder to get used to. I've done plenty of all-caps
>>> keywords back in
>>> my BASIC days, and I can't say I miss it - or that I find it
>>> in any way
>>> easier to read.
>>>
>>> I don't like the idea of language-enforced style. I do
>>> understand the
>>> rationale, but to me it's just minutia that has no business
>>> being
>>> nanny-supervised.
>>>
>>> Zimbu's actually been around for quite some time now. I first
>>> came
>>> across it several years ago when trying to find a modern
>>> native systems
>>> language that wasn't C/C++. I moved on in favor of D because
>>> Zumba
>>> seemed to be in much more of an early experimental state.
>>> Looks
>>> like it's further along now, but not as much as I would have
>>> guessed.
>>> Maybe all the attention on D/Rust/Go already sucked up most
>>> potential
>>> contributors?
>>>

>> Well, ZImbu gets a -42 out of 10 for code readability and
>> maintainability. :-)
>>
>> https://code.google.com/p/zimbu/source/browse/zimbu2c.c
>
> looks like something f2c would spew out...and well, line 1, 2,
> & 3 explain it:
>
> /*
>  * Generated from Zimbu file zimbu2c.zu
>  */
>

> Vim sources are actually quite readable...considering it's old
> greybeard C:
> https://vim.googlecode.com/hg/src/fold.c

Sorry, hit the send too soon...trying a new terminal bases
browser, purely for masochist reasons and only just figured out
how to go back :-)

I was going to say that C output shown there could be auto
formatted easily enough, but the Zimbu syntax is a bit too ugly
for my liking. Looks like CERN smashed C and COBOL particles
together to release a Zimbu.