[OT] Which IDE / Editor do you use?

Adam D. Ruppe destructionator at gmail.com
Sun Sep 15 19:04:24 PDT 2013

On Monday, 16 September 2013 at 01:48:31 UTC, H. S. Teoh wrote:
> Have you ever tried to configure sloppy focus on Windows?

yup. It kinda works until you get the idiot apps that raise
themselves whenever they get focus! Which are a lot of them. Ugh.

> <rant about inability to do this in Windows deleted/> ;-)

I think you can with add ons...

> Heh. I just use 'bg', 'jobs', and 'fg' on a single terminal. :)

Yeah, I do that sometimes too, but you can get output mixed
together! And you can't easily watch for updates without that. So
I like to use windows and gnu screen. The windows actually come
and go, as I just reattach a running screen session when needed.

I also really like the taskbar as a way to see everything (not
iconfied in this workspace) at once. Blackbox doesn't have one by
default, which is actually why I played with KDE at first for a
while, but I got sick of that so I wrote my own. Nothing fancy
(I'm tempted to port it to D though and add a few little
features), but gives me at-a-glance updates and an easy way to
find certain tasks.

My custom taskbar also disappears on workspaces 6, 7, and 8,
which I use to display full-screen rdesktop and VM instances. By
spinning my mouse wheel on the edge of the screen, I can pretend
to be on various Windows boxes too!

I always have at least one xterm open with a screen session: 0 =
where I run mplayer and other media players for background sound.
1 = mutt. 2 = alsamixer. 3 = elvis on a note-to-self file.

Then there's three gaim windows: the buddy list, the #d chatroom,
and a chat with myself (Where I dump extra notes, and if someone
else IMs me, it goes in that window instead of popping up a new
one so much better.)

And usually gimp for looking at work mockups.

And everything else is random projects in rxvts or xterms
(depending on if I need unicode or not - my rxvt doesn't support
utf8). They are generally screen for bigger, longer running
things, 0 = vim with all relevant source files open, screen 1
maybe make or debugger or ssh session, depending on the job.

I currently have 28 copies of rxvt and/or xterm open, just stuff
I'll get back to eventually.

I actually used to run a second copy of X as well, on vt8, for
full screen games, but I haven't played full screen games for a
long time. I'd do a separate copy so it wouldn't mess up my other
windows when changing the resolution or crashing.

Switching between the rxvts is easy btw: I can click them on the
mousebar, wheel to a new workspace, or I have a bunch of keyboard
shortcuts set up, all using the Windows key. Then at times I run
nested screens, especially on the laptop.

Anyway though I love it because I can have so many more things
open than I could ever handle on other systems.