Improved Phobos dox

Adam D. Ruppe destructionator at gmail.com
Sun Sep 15 19:15:23 PDT 2013

On Monday, 16 September 2013 at 01:52:38 UTC, Andrei Alexandrescu
wrote:
> It's not a combo box.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/bb775791%28v=vs.85%29.aspx

check out the CBS_DROPDOWNLIST style.

Or
http://harmattan-dev.nokia.com/docs/library/html/qt4/qcombobox.html#details

BTW MSDN has something the D docs are really lacking: the
conceptual overviews.

What are controls?
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/bb773173%28v=vs.85%29.aspx

What options are available?
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/bb773169%28v=vs.85%29.aspx

Big picture, what is a combo box?
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/bb775792%28v=vs.85%29.aspx

Can you tell me more?
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/bb775791%28v=vs.85%29.aspx

What about a complete example program?
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/hh298364%28v=vs.85%29.aspx

When I was new with Windows, half my programs were just bits of
Microsoft examples (back then it was a .hlp file rather than a
website though :) ) copy/pasted together. They're still useful
today too.

Of course, D doesn't have the kind of resources Microsoft has,
and those Windows documents were written over many years.

But we should start striving to at least offer:

1) conceptual overviews discussing the big idea and pointing to
relevant modules. e.g. "Strings" or "Ranges". Put them right in
the Phobos docs linked in all places like MSDN does with the
"Related Topics" at the bottom of every page.

2) a big picture module overview on each and every one of them.
Could just be a paragraph or two. Some already have this.

3) Collecting more full example programs. The samples directory
in the dmd zip should be easily viewable online and open to more
submissions. Is it on github?