[OT] Which IDE / Editor do you use?

Nick Sabalausky SeeWebsiteToContactMe at semitwist.com
Sun Sep 15 20:57:00 PDT 2013

On Mon, 16 Sep 2013 12:09:15 +1000
Peter Williams <pwil3058 at bigpond.net.au> wrote:

> On 16/09/13 11:47, H. S. Teoh wrote:
> >>
> >> This is actually feel about my custom setup based on the Blackbox
> >> window manager. It has a lot of little differences from the other
> >> common options:
> >>
> >> 1) sloppy focus. omg it is so much better than click to focus
> >
> > Back when I was still using a GUI, sloppy focus was one of the only
> > things that made it tolerable to use.
>
> I kind of agree but I use "focus follows mouse" rather than sloppy.
> I could never understand why most windows managers make "click to
> change focus" the default as clicking inevitably raises the newly
> focussed window to the top as well as changing the focus.  This
> greatly reduces flexibility when managing overlapping windows.

While I'm happy with click-to-focus[1] due to my many years with
windows, I still have to say "click before the scroll wheel will
actually work" is one of the biggest, most ridiculous GUI design
blunders out there. It's exactly like requiring the user to click a
control before right-click/middle-click/ctrl-click will work.

I think I've mentioned this in other threads, but on XP I used
KatMouse[2] to fix that, and it was a HUGE usability improvement.
Unfortunately, on Win7 it only works a small fraction of the time. And
that's unlikely to change because it's closed source abandonware, just
like all-too-many freeware apps on windows. (Honestly, I never
understood the windows developer culture of producing closed-source
freeware.)

[1] As long as the click-to-focus isn't "click a button in a
different window and then click the same button *again* to make the
button actually *receive* the 'clicked' event."

[2] KatMouse: http://ehiti.de/katmouse/

> PS One of the reasons that I dumped Gnome 3 for Cinnamon is that the
> Gnome people seem determined to remove all user configuration options
> (in the pursuit of an homogenous desktop)

That's the main thing that's kept me away from GNOME 3. If I want
people stealing my ability to make my own choices and let them
unilaterally decide what I want on my behalf, then there's already
plenty of propriety Oses, both desktop and mobile, that are happy to do
that for me. (Oh, shit, but now I need to find a self-appointed vicar to
make *that* choice for me...)