Improved Phobos dox

Vladimir Panteleev vladimir at thecybershadow.net
Sun Sep 15 23:49:20 PDT 2013

On Monday, 16 September 2013 at 01:44:34 UTC, Andrei Alexandrescu
wrote:
> On 9/15/13 11:25 AM, Vladimir Panteleev wrote:
>> On Sunday, 15 September 2013 at 18:02:10 UTC, Andrei
>> Alexandrescu wrote:
>>> Vladimir, do you think you could easily implement such an
>>> incremental
>>> search box (with autocompletion)?
>>
>> Sorry, that idea does not appeal to me either. Web browsers
>> already have
>> the function of searching within a page.
>
> But search boxes with autocomplete are vastly better.

Search boxes with autocomplete are vastly better than the
classical Ctrl+F dialog as implemented in Internet Explorer 6.
Most browsers currently implement Ctrl+F as incremental search,
which highlights results as you type. These have the advantage
that simply typing the term will 1) scroll down and highlight the
term, bringing into view the symbol's documentation on a "hit",
and 2) highlight all occurrences of the term on the visible page,
making e.g. overloads and related symbols immediately noticeable.
You also don't need to focus a search box immediately after
arriving at a page.

Anyway, no reason we can't have both. The CHM build tool
generates an index of all Phobos/Druntime symbols and D keywords,
and I think the dman tool does something similar as well -
perhaps it could be used for a site-wide searchbox with
autocomplete.