[OT] Which IDE / Editor do you use?

Joseph Rushton Wakeling joseph.wakeling at webdrake.net
Mon Sep 16 03:08:35 PDT 2013

On 15/09/13 22:49, Nick Sabalausky wrote:
> I love that comic!

Me too :-)

> I actually did the same tab/space thing for awhile. But my editors
> didn't really have a native understanding of it so it became manual
> editing of invisible characters, so now I just avoid that style of
> alignment regardless of tabs or spaces. Ie, instead of:
>
> foobar(aaaaa, bbbbb, ccccc,
>        ddddd, eeeee, fffff);
>
> I'll just do:
>
> foobar(
>      aaaaa, bbbbb, ccccc,
>      dddd, eeeee, fffff
> );
>
> Not as pretty, but it works, it makes things simpler, Plus it avoids
> the former style's tendency to wind up with gigantically-sized indents.

It's true, the former indentation style can be really annoying if it forces you
to indent by too much, especially if it clashes with a code style that prefers
line lengths of less than a certain number of characters.

I still prefer it to your alternative way of doing things -- I find that creates
confusion between the opening and closing parentheses of functions and opening
and closing braces of scopes, but that's partly a matter of taste and
familiarity, and it clearly does have benefits.