Move VisualD to github/d-programming-language ?

Bruno Medeiros brunodomedeiros+dng at gmail.com
Mon Sep 16 07:22:29 PDT 2013

On 07/09/2013 23:35, Paulo Pinto wrote:
> Well, if you want a production quality multi-platform IDE the only
> options are InteliJ and Eclipse, both of which are not that well
> received by most C and C++ guys. The target audience for D.

Just because Eclipse is not well received by the C and C++ community
(apparently - even that can be debated), that doesn't mean that is a
reasonable appraisal of Eclipse. It might just be an outdated opinion.

I understand Eclipse bashing by the Vi/Emacs/text-editor people, that is
an ongoing, but familiar and understood debate that has occured many
times before, and is not going away anytime soon I think. (and is really
not about Eclipse itself, but text editors vs. heavyweight IDEs, etc.)

But Eclipse bashing by people who use say, VisualStudio, that I don't
understand. Last time I tried both toolchains, VS seemed as heavy and
"bloated" as Eclipse (CDT) was. Yet CDT seemed quite ahead in terms of
features, especially semantics-wise (open definition, code complete,
etc.). Admittedly this was 3-4 years ago, and I only toyed lightly with
C/C++ code, I didn't do any serious development. But I doubt the
situation changed such that VS got much better than CDT, if anything,
the opposite is more likely.

--
Bruno Medeiros - Software Engineer