Move VisualD to github/d-programming-language ?

Bruno Medeiros brunodomedeiros+dng at gmail.com
Mon Sep 16 08:52:25 PDT 2013

On 13/09/2013 08:46, eles wrote:
> On Saturday, 7 September 2013 at 19:05:03 UTC, Walter Bright wrote:
>> Recent threads here have made it pretty clear that VisualD is a
>> critical piece of D infrastructure. (VisualD integrated D usage into
>> Microsoft Visual Studio.)
>
> Allow me to support this idea, however to suggest that also add a
> cross-platform IDE/plug-in.
>
> This is important for the Linux world.
>
> Current choices are DDT, for Eclipse and Mono-D, for MonoDevelop.
>
> I would vote for the two for the time being and see how things develop.
>
> Official endorsement should increase their visibility, their use and,
> why not, patches.
>
> In the future, they could also be integrated in the installer.
>
> I would also suggest to move DDT on github (Mono-D is already there).
>
> All these, of course, only if respective authors agree. I kindly ask
> them to provide their POV.

It's not clear to me what any of these measures would help with.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think Manu's point with regards with IDE
"official endorsement" was more to try to have the D language
organization devs (Walter, Andrei, etc.) *use* VisualD or another IDE
and understand the issues around it (especially with regards to
compiler/debugger integration).

Just having them make an "official endorsement" of an IDE, or putting it
in the DLang github, but without actually using it much, that I'm not
sure what it would achieve. The vast majority of other D users will just
use the IDE of their choice regardless. The number of contributors to
VisualD is likely to not change much either, I suspect.

--
Bruno Medeiros - Software Engineer