Improved Phobos dox

Andrei Alexandrescu SeeWebsiteForEmail at erdani.org
Mon Sep 16 09:37:06 PDT 2013

On 9/16/13 8:55 AM, Vladimir Panteleev wrote:
> If it's not too much effort, I'd revert this change, however this is
> more of a question of principle than practicality.

One more argument in favor of using style classes.

Consider the bug you found - parameters were not styled in italics.
(Whether or not we care to keep that particular formatting is a
different matter.)

That format was enacted as follows:

DDOC_PARAM = $(I $0)

which expands to <i>$0</i>. To change that in any way, one would have to
do surgery on some .ddoc file, rebuild, and upload the entire site.

Alternatively, one could, as you mentioned, restyle <i> in the css file,
but then not only parameters would be restyled, but ALL italic text! Not
good.

The new definition is:

DDOC_PARAM=<span class="param">$0</span>

The current style is:

.param
{
	font-style: italic;
}

Now whenever we want to change the styling of those particular elements
(and only those), we edit the css file and upload it again to the site.
This is very simple, economic, and modular.

Andrei