Improved Phobos dox

Brad Anderson eco at gnuk.net
Mon Sep 16 10:01:47 PDT 2013

On Monday, 16 September 2013 at 16:49:25 UTC, Andrei Alexandrescu
wrote:
> On 9/16/13 9:44 AM, Vladimir Panteleev wrote:
>> I noticed the change: dd -> div. This is bad, because it
>> reduces semantics.
>
> The change was from unqualified <dd> to <div class="param">.
> Big difference.
>
> Now you're arguing that <dd class="param"> is better than <div
> class="param">. This is more interesting, and I'd like to get
> convinced one way or another.
>
> For my part I prefer the minimal commitment of <div> - just
> leave it to the style to decide how to go about things. So I
> have minimal hardcoding of semantics in the generated html, and
> maximum flexibility in the CSS - I can get to hide the thing
> altogether, or format it in ways that are very different from
> classic <dd>.
>
>> Your example is: i -> span class="param". This is good,
>> because it
>> improves semantics.
>
> Great.
>

> Andrei

Why not just make every element a div with a class in that case?

There is a reason HTML 4 offered many element types and HTML 5
expanded this even more so.  It improves code readability and has
other benefits beyond that including assisting screen readers and
other accessibility services for disabled people.

http://coding.smashingmagazine.com/2013/01/18/the-importance-of-sections/