Improved Phobos dox

H. S. Teoh hsteoh at quickfur.ath.cx
Mon Sep 16 10:07:16 PDT 2013

On Mon, Sep 16, 2013 at 06:49:01PM +0200, Vladimir Panteleev wrote:
> On Monday, 16 September 2013 at 16:44:56 UTC, Andrei Alexandrescu
> wrote:
> >I don't find disagreement with what I said.
> >[...]
> >Nice, but what I see here is "different", not "better".
>
> I think we may be disagreeing regarding different things.
>
> >>You could use both (<dl class="d_decl">) if you like.
> >
> >I guess '<dl class="d_decl">' is one iota more specific than '<div
> >class="d_decl">' and would help if one wanted to view the HTML
> >without any accompanying CSS. I doubt this is a goal to pursue.
>
> I refer to my original argument about how this is
> borderline-nitpicking. I'd like to add, however, that user-agents
> such as screen readers might behave better when using appropriate
> HTML tags.

I can attest to that. I'm on another mailing list where one of the list
members is sight-impaired, and she complains about how some websites
(i.e. those that suffer from heavy divitis and spanitis) simply can't be
read in any sane way by the screen reader. Using built-in semantic tags
like <dl> can make a world of difference for these users, since the
screen reader has no idea what class="d_decl" means, but it *does* know
what <dl> means. I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss it.

It is the quality rather than the quantity that matters. -- Lucius Annaeus Seneca