Move VisualD to github/d-programming-language ?

Brad Roberts braddr at puremagic.com
Mon Sep 16 14:39:15 PDT 2013

On 9/16/13 8:52 AM, Bruno Medeiros wrote:
> Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think Manu's point with regards with IDE "official endorsement" was
> more to try to have the D language organization devs (Walter, Andrei, etc.) *use* VisualD or another
> IDE and understand the issues around it (especially with regards to compiler/debugger integration).

If that's the definition of official endorsement, then sorry, not likely to ever happen.  Demanding
that the core devs develop with specific tools is ridiculous in concept.  Would you switch because
someone told you to?  Me either.  I've been using vi(m) for about 20 years now.  My fingers know
what to do without conscious control.. I don't have the free time nor the desire to retrain myself
like that.

> Just having them make an "official endorsement" of an IDE, or putting it in the DLang github, but
> without actually using it much, that I'm not sure what it would achieve. The vast majority of other
> D users will just use the IDE of their choice regardless. The number of contributors to VisualD is
> likely to not change much either, I suspect.

There's value in just elevating something to the label official.  Bundling with releases.  Including
on the downloads page.  Increased discussion and awareness.  Etc.