[OT] Which IDE / Editor do you use?

Peter Williams pwil3058 at bigpond.net.au
Mon Sep 16 16:25:04 PDT 2013

On 16/09/13 18:07, John Colvin wrote:

> Ever since watching a friend have his entire /usr deleted by a dodgy
> 'sudo make install', i desperately avoid manually installing to anywhere
> but a dedicated subdir in $home. No root access needed and I actually
> know where everything is =)

In order for users of my PyGTK scripts to not have to risk the integrity
of their system (by installing them from my source rather than through
their package manager), I go out of my way to make sure that all that is
required is for the source directory to be in their $PATH (or
alternatively run them with the full path to the executable) in order
for them to be usable.  Because Python scripts know the directory where
they're installed (as well as where they're run from) it's possible to
know where to look for any support files using this data and Python
automatically includes the installed directory and its subdirectory when
it looks for library packages/modules.

This saves me the bother of having to learn how to make packages for all
the different systems out there without asking the user to compromise
their system integrity.

Peter
PS I also provide an install script so the users have that option and
the location of the root directory for the installation is configurable.