Had another 48hr game jam this weekend...

Manu turkeyman at gmail.com
Mon Sep 16 20:32:02 PDT 2013

On 17 September 2013 12:04, Meta <jared771 at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tuesday, 17 September 2013 at 01:18:39 UTC, Manu wrote:
>
>> What kind of quantity are we talking? My VisualStudio2010 is humming away
>> right now at 80mb with a large project open (less than i expected).
>> It's a text editor... what does it do?
>>

> How in the world are you getting that small of a memory footprint? My
> CS2010 is currently using 203k with a fairly bare-bones project. Hell, it
> gobbles up 100k just idling with nothing open.

I presume you mean megabytes?
Well I've been working all morning since I made that comment; I have about
100 tabs open for editing in VS now (I don't clean up open tabs often >_<),
and it's sitting at 120mb.
For reference, that's considerably less than the chrome process that hosts
gmail (200mb!). About the same as the steam client which I haven't even
opened since I turned on my PC, and less than double that of dropbox
(70mb!).
I just booted eclipse, doing absolutely nothing, no projects open on the
start screen. over 410mb...
I don't know why modern software uses so much memory. But it seems
VisualStudio at ~100mb is pretty bloody good comparatively!

Dunno why you're seeing 200mb? (still less than my gmail tab...)
Perhaps you use Visual Assist or some other bulky plugins? I only have
Visual-D installed.