Had another 48hr game jam this weekend...

Manu turkeyman at gmail.com
Mon Sep 16 22:32:13 PDT 2013

On 17 September 2013 13:43, Kapps <opantm2+spam at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tuesday, 17 September 2013 at 03:32:17 UTC, Manu wrote:
>

>> I presume you mean megabytes?
>> Well I've been working all morning since I made that comment; I have about
>> 100 tabs open for editing in VS now (I don't clean up open tabs often
>> >_<),
>> and it's sitting at 120mb.
>> VisualStudio at ~100mb is pretty bloody good comparatively!
>>
>> Dunno why you're seeing 200mb? (still less than my gmail tab...)
>> Perhaps you use Visual Assist or some other bulky plugins? I only have
>> Visual-D installed.
>>

> That's quite surprising, Visual Studio for me is always in the ~300MB or
> so range, often more. Right now using MonoDevelop on Linux with Mono-D is
> using ~500MB. That being said, I'm perfectly okay with IDEs using lots of
> memory. RAM is cheap, if the IDE can make itself even slightly better by
> using an extra 2GB when I have spare, I'd be happy to let it. I have 16GB
> in my laptop and 12GB in my desktop and nothing ever comes even remotely
> close to causing me to run out of memory. Things using CPU usage in the
> background however is quite frustrating. Somehow my most CPU intensive
> process on this laptop is my touchpad driver (touchegg), which likely kills
> battery life.

In my experience, more memory == slower. If you care about performance, the
only time it's acceptable to use more memory is if your data structures are
as efficient as they can get, and the alternative is reading off the hard
drive.
Bandwidth isn't free, cache is only so big, and logic to process and make
use of so much memory isn't free either. It usually just suggests
inefficient (or just lazy) data structures, which often also implies
inefficient processing logic.
And the more memory an app uses, the higher chance of invoking the page
file, which is a mega-killer.

Dunno what to tell you. My VS instance is pretty light.

I closed about half my open tabs after my last email (~50 left open). Down
to 93mb. You must all use some heavy plugins or something.
My current solution has 10 projects, one is an entire game engine with over
500 source files, hundreds of thousands of LOC. Intellisense info for all
of it... dunno what to tell you.
Eclipse uses more than 4 times that much memory idling with no project open
at all...

VS is light years better than MonoDevelop. MD is only good where VS is not
available ;)

My task manager:
http://i.imgur.com/crbUrH1.png