Had another 48hr game jam this weekend...

Manu turkeyman at gmail.com
Mon Sep 16 23:24:04 PDT 2013

On 17 September 2013 15:48, deadalnix <deadalnix at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tuesday, 17 September 2013 at 05:32:28 UTC, Manu wrote:
>
>> In my experience, more memory == slower. If you care about performance,
>> the
>> only time it's acceptable to use more memory is if your data structures
>> are
>> as efficient as they can get, and the alternative is reading off the hard
>> drive.
>> Bandwidth isn't free, cache is only so big, and logic to process and make
>> use of so much memory isn't free either. It usually just suggests
>> inefficient (or just lazy) data structures, which often also implies
>> inefficient processing logic.
>> And the more memory an app uses, the higher chance of invoking the page
>> file, which is a mega-killer.
>>

> I do agree as this is generally true. However, the problem isn't really
> cache size or bandwidth, but rather latency. We know how to increase
> bandwith or cache size, but the first one come at a cost with no big
> benefit, and the second come at increase of cost and increase of latency.
> What is capping the perf here is really latency.

Latency bottlenecks are usually a function of inefficient cache usage, or a
working set that's too large and non-linear.

That being said, less memory == more of your working set in cache => faster
> program.

Precisely.

 Dunno what to tell you. My VS instance is pretty light.

> Yup, VS is one of these program that microsoft did better than the
> alternative :D

Perhaps the only one, and also the single reason I still use Windows
(despite their best efforts to ruin it more and more with almost every
release!). There is STILL no realistic alternative for my money, well over
a decade later...
I don't get it. VS has been there a long time. It's not even perfect; farm
from it in fact. But the fact that given over a decade of solid working
example, nobody has yet managed to create a competitive product just blows
my mind...
Seriously, where is the competition? I probably use about 10% of VS's
features, but the features that I do use and rely on work, and work well.
Although even they could be significantly improved in some very simple ways.

 I closed about half my open tabs after my last email (~50 left open). Down
>> to 93mb. You must all use some heavy plugins or something.
>> My current solution has 10 projects, one is an entire game engine with
>> over
>> 500 source files, hundreds of thousands of LOC. Intellisense info for all
>> of it... dunno what to tell you.
>> Eclipse uses more than 4 times that much memory idling with no project
>> open
>> at all...
>>

> 4 times ? You must have a pretty light instance of eclipse !

It's a fairly fresh eclipse install, and I just boot it up. It showed the
home screen, no project loaded. It was doing absolutely nothing and well
into 400mb.
When I do use it for android and appengine, it more or less works well
enough, but the UI feels like it's held together with stickytape and glue,
and it's pretty sluggish. Debugging (native code) is slow and clunky. How
can I take that software seriously?
I probably waste significant portion of my life hovering and waiting for
eclipse to render the pop-up variable inspection windows. That shit needs
to be instant, no excuse. It's just showing a value from ram.
Then I press a key, it doesn't take ages for the letter to appear on the
screen...