Had another 48hr game jam this weekend...

Jacob Carlborg doob at me.com
Tue Sep 17 00:02:05 PDT 2013

On 2013-09-17 05:32, Manu wrote:

> I presume you mean megabytes?
> Well I've been working all morning since I made that comment; I have
> about 100 tabs open for editing in VS now (I don't clean up open tabs
> often >_<), and it's sitting at 120mb.
> For reference, that's considerably less than the chrome process that
> hosts gmail (200mb!). About the same as the steam client which I haven't
> even opened since I turned on my PC, and less than double that of
> dropbox (70mb!).
> I just booted eclipse, doing absolutely nothing, no projects open on the
> start screen. over 410mb...
> I don't know why modern software uses so much memory. But it seems
> VisualStudio at ~100mb is pretty bloody good comparatively!
>
> Dunno why you're seeing 200mb? (still less than my gmail tab...)
> Perhaps you use Visual Assist or some other bulky plugins? I only have
> Visual-D installed.

Opening Xcode takes 76  MB real memory (I guess that's physical memory?)
and 324 MB virtual memory.

After opening the DMD project, indexing, downloading some doc sets, it's
at 227 MB real memory and 420 virtual memory.

Yesterday I got a stack overflow in our Rails application and the Ruby
instance took 4 GB real memory.

--
/Jacob Carlborg