Move VisualD to github/d-programming-language ?

Joseph Rushton Wakeling joseph.wakeling at webdrake.net
Tue Sep 17 04:09:34 PDT 2013

On 16/09/13 23:39, Brad Roberts wrote:
> If that's the definition of official endorsement, then sorry, not likely to ever
> happen.  Demanding that the core devs develop with specific tools is ridiculous
> in concept.  Would you switch because someone told you to?  Me either.  I've
> been using vi(m) for about 20 years now.  My fingers know what to do without
> conscious control.. I don't have the free time nor the desire to retrain myself
> like that.

However, if you're a core project dev, it _can_ make sense to deliberately
explore the usability of your code from the point of view of someone using a
particular popular tool, even if it's not part of your day to day workflow.

It's amazing how many adoption problems can be solved simply by putting a little
bit of effort into understanding how to make it _easy_ for people to get your
work up and running with their habitual toolchain.

Of course it'd be wrong to demand that core devs develop with specific tools,
but it's not at all wrong to suggest that they regularly try out alternative
toolchains so that they have personal experience of the kinds of problems that
users will encounter.