Had another 48hr game jam this weekend...

Bruno Medeiros brunodomedeiros+dng at gmail.com
Tue Sep 17 06:46:46 PDT 2013

On 17/09/2013 07:24, Manu wrote:

>         I closed about half my open tabs after my last email (~50 left
>         open). Down
>         to 93mb. You must all use some heavy plugins or something.
>         My current solution has 10 projects, one is an entire game
>         engine with over
>         500 source files, hundreds of thousands of LOC. Intellisense
>         info for all
>         of it... dunno what to tell you.
>         Eclipse uses more than 4 times that much memory idling with no
>         project open
>         at all...
>

>     4 times ? You must have a pretty light instance of eclipse !
>

> It's a fairly fresh eclipse install, and I just boot it up. It showed
> the home screen, no project loaded. It was doing absolutely nothing and
> well into 400mb.
> When I do use it for android and appengine, it more or less works well
> enough, but the UI feels like it's held together with stickytape and
> glue, and it's pretty sluggish. Debugging (native code) is slow and
> clunky. How can I take that software seriously?
> I probably waste significant portion of my life hovering and waiting for
> eclipse to render the pop-up variable inspection windows. That shit
> needs to be instant, no excuse. It's just showing a value from ram.
> Then I press a key, it doesn't take ages for the letter to appear on the
> screen...

Android and Appengine?
There are two flaws in that comparison, the first is that apparently you
are comparing an Eclipse installation with a lot more tools than your VS
installation (which I'm guessing has only C++ tools, perhaps some VCS
tools too?). No wonder the footprint is bigger. For example, my Eclipse
instance with only DDT and Git installed, and opened on a workspace with
D projects takes up 130Mb:
http://i.imgur.com/VmKzrRU.png

With the recommend JVM memory settings (see
http://code.google.com/p/ddt/wiki/UserGuide#Eclipse_basics ), the usage
in that startup scenario goes up to 180Mb.
But even so that is not a fair comparison, the second flaw here is that
Eclipse is running on a VM, and is not actually using all the memory
that is taken from the OS.

If you wanna see how much memory the Java application itself is using
for its data structures, you have to use a tool like jconsole (included
in the JDK) to check out JVM stats. For example, in the DDT scenario
above, after startup the whole of Eclipse is just using just 40Mb for
the Java heap:
http://i.imgur.com/yCPtS52.png

--
Bruno Medeiros - Software Engineer