[OT] Which IDE / Editor do you use?

Adam D. Ruppe destructionator at gmail.com
Tue Sep 17 18:01:26 PDT 2013

On Tuesday, 17 September 2013 at 17:01:55 UTC, H. S. Teoh wrote:
> Actually, that gives me an idea. What if, instead of defaulting
> to character data, the terminal input stream defaults to control
> structures?

hehe those who don't understand Windows are doomed to reinvent it
:) :) :)

> the length) per message, which should minimize the overhead of
> defaulting to control mode instead of pure data mode.

I'm actually not sure if overhead is worth worrying about. On the
input side, it'd be slow anyway since humans only type so fast,
and on the output side if you transfer big updates at once the
few bytes for length and type would be quickly irrelevant anyway.

Besides, we aren't on 300 baud serial lines!

> I'm not sure what the bash syntax is, but couldn't you just
> pipe echo to, say, fd 3 (altin?)?

Yes, we'd just have to change the convention. I should patch vim
myself!

It could probabaly be done with existing programs through named
pipes too.

> Cool!

and it occurs to me that gnu screen is, at its core, just a
terminal emulator. So... having a little terminal emulation
library is useful for a bunch of things - a gnu screen
replacement, a customized xterm, and perhaps even my own putty
program for Windows. And embedding it in programs as a nice
widget to use for some gui programming fun.

But wow, these escape sequences are even more annoying. I thought
dealing with the input was a hassle, being on the other end is no
walk in the park either!

However, I've implemented a handful and vim and bash are both
kinda running. Some bugs in vim but it is usable.

> Haha, yeah. If I were doing it, I'd say just do .ttf output
> from the get-go, render it as an image, whatever, just don't
> even bother with the antiquated X11 font handling.

I thought about that, but I actually *like* the plain core font
"fixed". (rxvt's default, at least on my system) I use it in a
number of places and think it looks pretty good.

To the extent that I have two xterm shortcuts: one uses bitstream
vera mono and the other uses plain old fixed-14.

Oh well, I'm rendering each character individually anyway, so
switching won't be a problem.

> Then when it comes time to add inline images, just treat it as
> a very large character with a custom bitmap font. :-P

indeed. Which brings up an idea too: you could just define custom
bitmapped glyphs... arguably at this point you might as well just
use xlib, but hey doing a printf("\033 magic bitmap stuff") is
kinda enticing!