Had another 48hr game jam this weekend...

Joseph Rushton Wakeling joseph.wakeling at webdrake.net
Wed Sep 18 07:10:31 PDT 2013

On 18/09/13 15:54, Wyatt wrote:
> As in "only rebuild the files that changed"?  In my experience, that comes with
> using make.  Even really ancient versions.

More like, top-down vs. bottom-up resolution of dependencies.  E.g. suppose
you've built GDC from source -- this means you've built both the GCC backend
(and C/C++ compilers etc.) and the D frontend.

Now you pull in the latest updates to the frontend, and you want to rebuild.
Theoretically, you shouldn't need to care about the backend at all -- it's
already built -- and all that you should need to do is rebuild the frontend and
the resulting GDC executable and libraries.

In practice, the GCC make process will trawl through all the different
subdirectories related to the backend -- it'll find that nothing needs to be
rebuilt, but it takes quite some time to check all of that, when you'd like your
built system to be smart enough to avoid that kind of bottom-up checking.