[OT] Language Cocktail

John Colvin john.loughran.colvin at gmail.com
Wed Sep 18 08:18:18 PDT 2013

On Wednesday, 18 September 2013 at 08:38:05 UTC, Namespace wrote:
> http://consoleblog.me/posts/cocktails-for-programmers
>
> Any suggestions for D?

Without having looked at the link, I had a few ideas for
different languages:

C: Straight vodka. It's a concrete base for many things. Does the
job.

Fortran: Gin. Not as popular as it used to be. Many have moved to
vodka.

C++: Earthquake or Concrete Mixer, I can't decide. Earthquake
because it's an immensely powerful mix but also unsatisfying and
will royally fuck you up. Concrete mixer because of the jarring
clash between templates and normal code.

Python: Mojito. Little bit exotic, but very popular. Easy to do
badly, but still ok even when you do.

Ruby: Pina Colada. Fruity. A good blend of flavours with a
unified feel.

PHP: A badly made bloody mary. A complete mess.

JavaScript: Sambucca. Ok in small quantities, but for gods sake
don't use it as base for anything.

Java: Light beer. You have to drink a lot to get anywhere,
unsatisfying and falling out of fashion somewhat, but still
hugely widespread.

D: A well stocked, well organised drinks cabinet, with a variety
of automated mixing machines. Very few glasses, some of the
bottles are actually almost empty (or off) and you can't find any
tools. Has been known to rearrange critical sections of itself
overnight. Lacks customers.

asm: chemistry set. You can definitely make cocktails with it,
you just have to put in the work and concentrate :)