UFCS is just awesome

fedvasu vadie.misc at gmail.com
Wed Sep 18 13:32:40 PDT 2013

I a noob at D, I am an intermediate java programmer, I am
learning C++ for my next project(employment). I knew about D, I
always felt like D is "C++: The good parts(TM) without tooling".
I dabbled a bit in D (a few project euler problems,nothing major)
DMD and LDC work flawlessly on fedora (good job maintainers! very
much appreciated).

I am casually browsing Ali Cehrli's book in my free time.Thanks
Ali for a decent resource.
(First post so please tolerate the thank yous and me toos)

Coming to the point.

I read this article by Walter
(http://www.drdobbs.com/cpp/uniform-function-call-syntax/232700394)

I think it is way awesome, I mean seriously I am one of the
(junior)maintainers for a large codebase(>2 million SLOC java)
for our customer. I was like can't we just have a few static
functions in a class and could use them as if they are methods of
our class?(atleast for new classes we create) We have a crap load
of fat classes and boy I have a headache when I have to peek into
10000+ SLOC classes,lot of repetition.

I even liked the article more when Walter mentions STL's approach
(Algorithms + Iterators + Containers) and clearly stated why
extension methods are inferior to UFCS (more boiler-plate and
call syntax restrictions).

I think small things like this add upto a lot for long term
maintainability of application software.

I am more intrigued about D than before!