[OT] Which IDE / Editor do you use?

Paulo Pinto pjmlp at progtools.org
Wed Sep 18 13:46:02 PDT 2013

Am 18.09.2013 22:31, schrieb H. S. Teoh:
> On Wed, Sep 18, 2013 at 03:01:26AM +0200, Adam D. Ruppe wrote:
>> On Tuesday, 17 September 2013 at 17:01:55 UTC, H. S. Teoh wrote:
>>> Actually, that gives me an idea. What if, instead of defaulting to
>>> character data, the terminal input stream defaults to control
>>> structures?
>>
>> hehe those who don't understand Windows are doomed to reinvent it :)
>> :) :)
>
> lol... though it makes me think of the latest C++ proposals as "those
> who don't understand D are doomed to reinvent it, poorly". :-P

Even though I bought the updated version of "The C++ Programming
Language", I've started to get the feeling that the C++ standard might
get into the same direction as ANSI Extended Pascal.

It gets updated, but besides a few places in the world, developers will
eventually stop caring.

I agree with Andrei's statement at Going Native. Even if C++14 and
eventually C++17 make developer's life easier, you still need to know
all archaic issues all the way back to C, to be able to tackle any
issues that come up.

> I remember in the old DOS days, some games would load up custom graphics
> into the video card's text font buffer, so that they can draw sprites
> just by writing the corresponding characters into the video card's text
> buffer.  You can get very fast drawing rates since the video card does
> most of the work for you (and you only need to transfer 1 byte per 8x8
> block of pixels instead of 8 bytes or more).

In the Amiga was even better, thanks to the custom blitter chips. Just
set up the required information and start a few DMA operations.

Nowadays, you can get a similar effect with a few shaders.

--
Paulo