Will Java go native?

Chris wendlec at tcd.ie
Wed Sep 18 14:33:49 PDT 2013

Seeing that more and more developers and companies look for or
actively develop native languages, I wonder will Java go native
one day? (Cf.
http://docs.oracle.com/cd/A97336_01/buslog.102/a83727/jtools5.htm)

Is this Java's only chance to keep up with Go and Rust (and D)?
Performance is an issue, no matter how fast your processor is,
Java always lags behind*. And the JVM installation horror is bad
enough for developers, but for users? Now Java apps are often
shipped with a version of the JRE included, which smells of
defeat. If Oracle want to save Java (after so many "unfortunate"
decisions), will they finally go native? I can see a market for
that. There are still a lot of Java developers out there, there
are loads of Java apps, Java has GUI libraries etc.

*Java's sluggish performance was what made me look for
alternatives in the first place, and I found D.