Will Java go native?

Paulo Pinto pjmlp at progtools.org
Wed Sep 18 15:24:09 PDT 2013

Am 18.09.2013 23:33, schrieb Chris:
> Seeing that more and more developers and companies look for or actively
> develop native languages, I wonder will Java go native one day? (Cf.
> http://docs.oracle.com/cd/A97336_01/buslog.102/a83727/jtools5.htm)
>
> Is this Java's only chance to keep up with Go and Rust (and D)?
> Performance is an issue, no matter how fast your processor is, Java
> always lags behind*. And the JVM installation horror is bad enough for
> developers, but for users? Now Java apps are often shipped with a
> version of the JRE included, which smells of defeat. If Oracle want to
> save Java (after so many "unfortunate" decisions), will they finally go
> native? I can see a market for that. There are still a lot of Java
> developers out there, there are loads of Java apps, Java has GUI
> libraries etc.
>
> *Java's sluggish performance was what made me look for alternatives in
> the first place, and I found D.

Java is already native, don't confuse languages with implementations.

Just because the reference implementation happens to be VM only, it does
not mean all Java vendors offer plain VMs.

Here are some native compilers for Java and JVMs that do AOT compilation
as option:

http://www.excelsior-usa.com/jet.html

http://www.atego.com/products/aonix-perc/

http://www-03.ibm.com/software/products/us/en/real-time/