[OT] Language Cocktail

Jon no at spam.com
Wed Sep 18 20:10:53 PDT 2013

> Ahh, the "makeshit double boiler" method. I do similar for
> certain
> sakes. Ie, the ones that say on the bottle they're best when
> warmed ;)
> Also the ones that are best hot, which would be the
> lower-quality ones
> and any that are getting old (Sake's not like most other boozes
> - after
> the initial aging involved in production, more time beyond that
> just
> degrades the quality. After six months, may as well just drink
> it hot.
> I think people calling "rice wine" in misleading that way. It's
> not
> even a wine at all, it's made from a grain, not a fruit.)
>
> But I didn't know that about dark rum. I may try that sometime.
>
> The ways I've had dark rum were probably mistakes: A "Dark and
> Stormy" (dark rum with ginger beer), but problem is I don't
> like ginger
> beer ;). And once I tried using it like a regular rum in a
> chilled
> fruity drink. Yea, I guess I didn't know what I was doing.

Dark and Stormys definitely were not a mistake! I used to fly
through Bermuda on business trips (long story) and was introduced
to them there. The bartender made them with Gosling's Rum and
whatever the local ginger beer was (not to be confused with
ginger ale, ginger beer is spicier). I highly recommended it for
those who have never tried one! Gosling's is a nice dark rum, not
terribly hard on the wallet either. It's a shame the ginger beer
disagreed with you, a good solution is to just use more rum to
water down the ginger beer flavor a bit :). I'll have to try the
dark rum warmed up sometime, it sounds like a nice Fall weather
drink.