[OT] Language Cocktail

Jacob Carlborg doob at me.com
Thu Sep 19 00:04:33 PDT 2013

On 2013-09-18 22:59, Nick Sabalausky wrote:

> Ahh, the "makeshit double boiler" method. I do similar for certain
> sakes. Ie, the ones that say on the bottle they're best when warmed ;)
> Also the ones that are best hot, which would be the lower-quality ones
> and any that are getting old (Sake's not like most other boozes - after
> the initial aging involved in production, more time beyond that just
> degrades the quality. After six months, may as well just drink it hot.
> I think people calling "rice wine" in misleading that way. It's not
> even a wine at all, it's made from a grain, not a fruit.)

I didn't know it had a name.

> But I didn't know that about dark rum. I may try that sometime.

A small piece of dark chocolate, of high quality and a high percentage
of cocoa (around 70%), is a great combination. Nice way to end a dinner.

> The ways I've had dark rum were probably mistakes: A "Dark and
> Stormy" (dark rum with ginger beer), but problem is I don't like ginger
> beer ;). And once I tried using it like a regular rum in a chilled
> fruity drink. Yea, I guess I didn't know what I was doing.

I use dark rums in fruity drinks as well but it depends which kind of
rum you use. Dark rums for mixing drinks I would go with any of the
first stet of rums I listed: Havana Club, Cruzan or Ron Barcelo.

I guess it also depends on what kind of ginger beer you use. I sometimes
mix dark rum with ginger ale, the kind that's like soda, and some
freshly squeezed lime, then you get a Fidel Castro.

The right rum for the right kind of drink.

--
/Jacob Carlborg