Will Java go native?

Chris wendlec at tcd.ie
Thu Sep 19 02:44:29 PDT 2013

On Thursday, 19 September 2013 at 09:30:21 UTC, Dmitry Leskov
wrote:
> On Wednesday, 18 September 2013 at 22:33:46 UTC, Chris wrote:
>> On Wednesday, 18 September 2013 at 22:24:08 UTC, Paulo Pinto
>> wrote:
>>> http://www.excelsior-usa.com/jet.html
>> I've heard of excelsior ($2,500+) and other implementations.
>
> Excelsior guy here with a quick comment:
>
> For many of our users, if not for most of them, the potential
> performance gain from AOT compilation is just a "nice-to-have".
> Their main concern these days is the ease of decompiling Java
> bytecode compared to reverse engineering optimized native code
> binaries:
>
> http://www.excelsior-usa.com/articles/java-obfuscators.html
>
> As far as the price tag is concerned, we have free licenses
> available for non-commercial use and discount programs for
> early stage startups and small businesses.
>
> --
> Dmitry

Yes, the whole issue of decompilation was also an issue. Funnily
enough, a few years ago I wrote an email to Excelsior asking if
you guys offer a discount for academia. Our project would have
qualified as "non-commercial use". But I never got an answer. So
I started looking for alternatives, and here I am now :-)