[OT] Which IDE / Editor do you use?

Adam D. Ruppe destructionator at gmail.com
Thu Sep 19 07:49:34 PDT 2013

On Wednesday, 18 September 2013 at 20:33:10 UTC, H. S. Teoh wrote:
> And even though we aren't on 300 baud serial lines, sometimes I
> *do* wanna transfer large amounts of text into a terminal as
> fast as I can, for example:

actually, I do want some way to transfer files easily. Using scp
and so on is kinda a pain, I would like to just

cat file > REMOTE_COMPUTER

and be done with it. scp is ok if you have keys set up on both
sides and they are unix, but when you're on putty and just want
to dump a file over to the Windows side, what I'd love is to hit
a command and then get a save as prompt on the receiving end. Or,
better yet, run a program right on it too.

If I get an email image, I want to view it or edit it, but can't
really do that remotely. Even running xming, the transfer is so
brutally slow (a lot of my emailed images are like 1024x4000), so
I just prefer to send the compressed file over and let Windows
show it natively.

Often the way I do it is to copy it over into /var/www/htdocs and
then pop it open in Internet Explorer, but that's a hassle too
(especially since mutt refuses to save attached files with
permissions other than 600. Ugh!)

So that's something I'd do in my magic extension. Receive file
from Windows, send file to it and possibly execute a command
right off the bat, and probably have a clipboard interface too.
(On Linux I have a program called xsel that does it. echo test |
xsel, then middle click somewhere and it shows test. xsel > file,
sends it out. Perfect! But X connections are kinds finicky,
especially with screen where the DISPLAY isn't necessarily set
right after detach/reattach.)

I'm reasonably sure there's file transfer protocols like this
that already exist, but I have no idea how to use them... and
hell doing it myself is easy enough.

> To each his own. I can't stand the core fonts. Esp. since they
> don't come in 18pt size. :-P

yeah.... I like my monitor size, high resolution is crazy!

> Plus, they don't include quite enough Unicode glyphs for my
> needs (actually, do they even support unicode at all?!).

not really, I don't think so anyway. They (at least on my box)
have some iso 8859-1 characters, but not beyond that.

> Make it pluggable. :)

yes the way I'm doing it is there's an abstract class Terminal
Emulator that does most the work and then calls a few abstract
virtual functions that handles some high level stuff like redraw,
change title, and then some public functions the outer class can
do to drive the UI.

The abstract class also does delegates for read/write, so then I
can forkpty and feed it that descriptor, or spawn a child like
ssh or plink and talk to something remotely, (I hope, I haven't
tried this yet, but it should work.)

> I remember in the old DOS days, some games would load up custom
> graphics into the video card's text font buffer, so that they
> can draw sprites just by writing the corresponding characters
> into the video card's text buffer.

god yes, and even the built in DOS graphics could be utterly
beautiful. Or the OEM font as I guess it should be called. My
image_basicdrawing.d embeds that font too because I like it lol.

BTW I'm pretty sure Unicode has a few user defined sections that
would be ideal for this. You set a bitmap for your user defined
characters and then send them right out. Though it makes me
wonder: should it be a 1 bit bitmap? Or palette somehow? idk, for
anti aliasing it seems to me you'd want to do a few bits that is
just alpha, with the colors being defined elsewhere. But the NES
had a sweet 4 color setup for its tiles!

Eh though, this is a text terminal, let's not go too nuts. The
magic display image sequence can be full color.