[OT] Which IDE / Editor do you use?

H. S. Teoh hsteoh at quickfur.ath.cx
Thu Sep 19 09:41:24 PDT 2013

On Thu, Sep 19, 2013 at 05:01:18PM +0200, Wyatt wrote:
> On Thursday, 19 September 2013 at 14:27:14 UTC, H. S. Teoh wrote:
> >On Thu, Sep 19, 2013 at 03:04:44PM +0200, Wyatt wrote:
> >[...]
> >>Dolphin is pretty nice, though there are cases where Konqueror still
> >>runs circles around it. For example, if you want a horizontal split
> >>or more than one split.  Also, I don't think Dolphin has the file
> >>size view plugin, which is nice for finding hidden monsters in your
> >>~.
> >
> >du ~ | sort -r -n | less
> >
> That's nice if you want the size of _every_ individual file in your
> home. In kilobytes.  It's much less so for visualising where hotspot
> directories are, let alone seeing the large divisions within them or
> getting a sense of their relative magnitude.  It's accurate, but
> data that doesn't end with presentation useful for humans is next to
> worthless.

Well, sort -r returns the heaviest entries at the top, which are
generally the directories that add up to the most weight. So it should
be relatively easy to narrow down to the entries of interest, which
should themselves be pretty big as well, so they will also appear close
to the top. The stuff towards the end are all the small files so they
can be ignored.

Of course, du -m may help with more readable numbers. :)

> shopt -s dotglob; du -sm ~/* | sort -rn | less
>
> ...is a bit closer, but there's a lot of room for improvement.  Even
> the KDE part isn't really optimal (for example, I think reducing the
> recursion one level would be a better default), but it plays to the
> strengths of the human visual system markedly better:
> http://chrisjrob.files.wordpress.com/2011/02/konqueror-file-size-view.png
[...]

Ah, that's nice. I didn't realize that's what the size plugin does.
Pretty nifty!

Debian GNU/Linux: Cray on your desktop.