[OT] Which IDE / Editor do you use?

H. S. Teoh hsteoh at quickfur.ath.cx
Thu Sep 19 09:47:35 PDT 2013

On Thu, Sep 19, 2013 at 04:55:06PM +0200, Adam D. Ruppe wrote:
[...]
> Something else I love from the good old days: palette swaps.

Yeah! Those were cool! You could use exactly the same sprites, but
change the palette, to produce what looks like different sprites. :)

[...]
> When your life ran low, it changed the font entry from white to red.
> But, of course, there's other places that used that entry too - the
> NES had only a 16 color palette (with only 4 colors per tile) so
> reuse was a necessity - so you'd have parts of the world changing to
> red too!
[...]

Oh, that brings back memories of X11 running on 16-color EGA with a
palette... some applications would rewrite the palette in order to
better display a high-color image, so when you moved your mouse into the
window, the rest of the world turns into psychedelic colors, and when
you moved your mouse back out, the world turns sane but now the image
turns psychedelic.

Creativity is not an excuse for sloppiness.