Will Java go native?

Andrei Alexandrescu SeeWebsiteForEmail at erdani.org
Thu Sep 19 09:58:19 PDT 2013

On 9/19/13 1:25 AM, Russel Winder wrote:
> Java is no longer under-performant compared to C, C++, Fortran, D, Go,
> Rust. Check the benchmarks.

Hmmm, this is not established wisdom and the glib "check the benchmarks"
doesn't quite help.

Java has gotten on par with C and C++ for raw performance of "straight"
code (numerics, I/O etc). I've seen such. Java seems to have issues
involving layout control, which is an important influencer of
performance in computing nowadays.

Clearly the Java community has amassed a nice bag of tricks regarding
performance optimization (parallel arrays, hoisting allocations, etc)
but systems compilers and techniques have also made solid progress. When
it comes to getting "all" performance, the C model is where it's at.

Andrei