Will Java go native?

Paulo Pinto pjmlp at progtools.org
Thu Sep 19 12:18:47 PDT 2013

Am 19.09.2013 19:21, schrieb Andrei Alexandrescu:
> On 9/19/13 6:05 AM, PauloPinto wrote:
>>> In java, all classes are dynamically loadable, and most functions are
>>> virtual. This is a deal breaker for the AOT.
>>
>> Wrong. The Java AOT compilers that target embedded systems produce
>> static binaries.
>
> That's not wrong. Java AOT compilers usually (or at least last time I
> looked) make it clear they support no dynamic loading/invocation etc. so
> in a sense they don't support 100% of Java.
>
> Andrei

In Websphere Real Time VM you can have a mixed deployment mode.

Not sure about other AOT compilers.

I was stating the specific case of targeting embedded processors, where
I think dynamic loading and reflection are anyway not that relevant.

Even C and C++ are not fully supported in all types of embedded scenarios.

--
Paulo